Monday, May 09, 2005

Third best nap: I was about six years old and fell asleep on a cow. Really. He was more like a calf, I guess, and being a 'he' would have been a baby bull, not a cow. He was a pet though. My father delivered him from his dying mother and we handfed him and named him Lucky. We had a nap together on a sunny day, with him lying in the grass and me leaning against him.

But that was back when the world was young.

The first best nap was not all that long ago, in the scheme of things. I'd gotten up early to deliver Nate to school, then drove directly to Jadyn's place. It was when we'd first met and neither of us had a job to get to, and PB was in her bed asleep, so we snuggled up on the couch together -- both pleasantly drowsy. Somehow, we ended up soundly asleep, her mostly on top of me, her weight and warmth providing the perfect conditions for a nap. The very best one ever. I can only hope to meet its equal one day.

No comments: